Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Raggedy Dolls with Furry Companions

Raggedy dolls are cute, but they're much cuter when they have something cuddly in their arms. Everything you see here has been hand sewn. 
 


This Country Raggedy doll is made from tea-stained muslin, stitched with nylon invisible thread, and lightly stuffed so she is floppy and has lots of movement. I hand-stitched her cotton dress, and the sleeves, neckline, and shoulders of her dress are tied with thin cotton twine. I've added some crazy curly cording to her head and tied each strand onto the top of her head to create her hair. I've embroidered her nose with DMC floss to match her hair color. Her facial features were added with permanent ink. I have stitched her hands together and tucked a fully-jointed and complete miniature teddy bear into her arms. I stitched the bear to her arms so they would remain a pair permanently. I try to avoid using glue to my creations because most times glue will ruin the bear, so I just stitched the bear to the doll.


 
 
This doll show below is much like the one above except the fabric I used to sew her from is a darker tone of muslin.  Her hair is more coarse and her nose is embroidered with dark brown DMC floss.   The teddy bear she's holding is made from a light cashmere upholstery fabric which has no sheen, unlike the bear in the Country Raggedy Doll photos.   I love her crazy hair.  Both of these dolls are approximately 4 to 4-1/2 inches tall.  The miniature bears they are holding are approximately 1-1/2 inches tall. 




No comments:

Post a Comment